Thursday, December 30, 2010

Painting Vinyl Flooring

I not so recently began a project to reinvigorate my kitchen floor.  I have a tiny kitchen, and though I would prefer tile I am unable to move out my fridge, stove, and dishwasher on my own, so I decided to work with what I've got.  This would be some nasty vinyl flooring.  It is made to look like tile, though it has yellowed over time.  I found a great article from DIY Network on how to paint vinyl, and stencil it.  I'm not too into stenciling, so I just ignored that part. 
Basically, I started by cleaning the floor with TSP, sanding the floor, and cleaning that up.  I then KILZed the floor.  My next step is using the Glidden porch/floor paint I had tinted light gray. Below is the poor quality, taken at night on my iPhone during shot photo. 

One coat completed, one to go.

It already looks so much better.  Once the trim and door are painted which instead of the original off-white, it will look much better.  The cabinets are a bright green, soon to become a more toned down sage green.

No comments:

Post a Comment